Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ice ice baby!


I came across an article today talking about a phenomenon called Ice Circles (seen above). I started doing some digging and found that a lot of people try to make them sound like crop circles except on the water. They say that they formed overnight and can't be explained. My research revealed that they can form overnight and can be explained. Sorry aliens, you can't claim this one. Ice circles occur when ice forms in the middle of a body of water. The water current slows around the ice and begins to shape it into a circle. Many ice circles are spinning when they are discovered. It's quite fascinating to me and I'm surprised I haven't heard of this phenomenon before today. I've attached a video of one in motion. Pretty cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freaky! I've never heard of this before.

There's witchery (or aliens) afoot in Michigan!

Dracenea said...

Riverwolf, I think I would prefer witches to aliens! Unless aliens are fuzzy, like Alf, I think I'd be okay with them then. :) I believe the last reported ice circle in Michigan was in December of 2006.