Monday, June 1, 2009

The craft has been named and other good news.

I have been trying to come up with a name for the crafts I do because eventually I may start up an Etsy shop or something like that. Most of the names I've come up with aren't very clever and when I do an Internet search, sure enough, they've been used by others. I came up with one that I thought wouldn't be taken and it was, darn it. It was Hodge Podge Lodge. Cute, eh? Apparently that was also the name of a television show back in the day. I was trying to come up with something that isn't too weird so that it appears to the "normals" but that also reflects my darker personality and some of the darker crafts I may do.

Well, apparently my darker side just can't be covered up because I came up with a name and after searching the Internet, it appears that no one has used this. I have no idea how they haven't because I think it could be an obvious name. As of right now, the name I'm really digging for my crafts is "Crafts from the Crypt". Get it? Perfect, right? My dwelling can be crypt-like and it fits my personality. So none of you better take this because I'll come after you! Muwahaha! Seriously, I'm not joking people. I plan on designing business cards and I'll have a little coffin to keep them in. : )

Obviously this isn't a name that appeals to the normals so I'll be saving this for craft shows that aren't in conservative areas and my online endeavors.

Good news! In a recent post I talked about my segue into crocheting. Apparently I just can't learn stuff like this from books because I watched a two minute YouTube video and tada...I can crochet! Now that there is less than two weeks until my first craft show, I need to focus on the other things that I'm making. I plan on crocheting for the September show though. Yay! I should have some pics of my current crafts by this weekend.

14 comments:

suzanne said...

I can completely relate to the name issue. I can never seem to come up with clever names for things and when I do, someone else has gotten there first. Sounds like you've got some busy weeks, and months, ahead.

cindy said...

Good luck with all of your crafty stuff and etsy! I like the name you picked out...CUTE! :)

I can't wait to see what you've been up to!

Eve Noir said...

FIRST-yay about Crocheting...OH MY, I have to find this song (I have it on CD)...on YOUTUBE for you to hear. Whenever you say Crochet, I think of this (feminist) song. ^_^
YOUTUBE will save us all...ha ha!

You did it again-with your name for your crafts. ^_^ It's really good & I think it's perfect too.

Are you using the subtitle we chatted about also? I want to use a subtitle too...I told you 'em, remember? I just want to use the words "curious/curiouser" somewhere-just not in my BIG name, which prob will be Eve's Wonderland. But darn I better look online cuz it could be taken too...must get on that! That's great that YOURS wasn't already used. Very cool.

OK, now I'm going to look for that song & post it before I go to work...if I find it. If not, know I thought of you. Teeee heeee.
Have a good one~

Renee said...

oohhh I get it. Crafts from the Crypt is perfect! ...the verdict is still out if I'm "normal". But I remember Tales from the Crypt. I used to love that show.

RowdyKittens said...

I've been struggling with the name issue as well. It seems like all the good stuff is taken! So frustrating.

Great news about crocheting. YouTube is such an amazing resource. I knit and love the craft; it's so relaxing. :)

PumpkinBrain said...

Crafts from the Crypt... That sounds very good. I like that. It reminds me of Tales from the Crypt ;-)

Can't wait to see your crafts pictures!

Dracenea said...

Thanks to all who like the name! I even got an email address set up with the name for the future. I'm glad I found a good one. I decided to just say screw it and pick a name that reflected my tastes. I will be producing normal crafts for the area craft shows, which is why I'm leaving the name out of those.

Halloween - Yes, indeed, I shall be very busy!

Eve - I'm so glad I was able to learn how to crochet!

I think I'm going to go with another subtitle for the name because the one I told you doesn't quite fit right. You NEED to find out if someone is using the name you have in mind! If you don't, I will! :)

I'll be making the blog rounds shortly. I'll see if ya' found the song.

Renee - Exactly! That's why I was surprised no one had used it. The term "normal" is so up in the air anyway. Just call yourself a freak, like me! :)

Rowdy - Good luck with your naming endeavor! The right one will come along eventually. How long have you been knitting?

PumpkinBrain - Yep, after I thought about it, I realized it was just like that so I figured someone would have used it. I lucked out!

Some pics should be up this weekend. Today, I hope to start on the picture frames I'm doing.

Laura said...

I like the name. I had a hard time picking out a name for my small business and finally settled on SpritWitch Designs. It worked for a while, but then I got tired of it and wanted to do something different. Well after months of going back and forth I finally settled on sticking with it as it really does fit me well.
Good luck with the craft show, can't wait to see what you make!
Blessings
~*~

Eve Noir said...

I don't know if I recall you saying FRAMES...wait I do! I'm doing some too-but I'm sure ours will be much different. Oh no, let's not be in competition on ETSY! Highly doubtful I'm sure. :) My stuff isn't going to be very dark. Hm, but I guess I'll see how it goes as it goes along.

I made some other things too, like boxes, mirror stuff, etc...I might post mine before the weekend & yay we can see what WE've both been up to. ^_^

Can't wait to see the pics. Get to work, lady. I'm getting to work too-mainly so the possibility of a shop seems more real, ya know?
OK, let's just call me Eve "Comment Wall Junkie" Noir....adios!

Eve Noir said...

OH & the song is up. A fan made the video...but it's interesting, I think. Sullivan doesn't seem to like it but it's a feminist song & it's LOUD...and I think it's kinda funny. But that's just me and my odd sense of humor.

OH MY, how many comments can I fit on this post today??? OK, that's it! I swear it...going to watch that new show Mental soon. Have you heard of it? Check it out...tonight will be my 1st time watching.
Night night.~

Dracenea said...

Laura - Yes, naming can be a tricky thing. It's a very personal thing to me and that's why I decided to say screw the "normals" and do what fits me. :)

Eve - I'm mainly doing the picture frames for the craft show. They'll be "normal" looking. If they're a hit, then I'll do gothier/creepier ones for online. Maybe I'll do some normal ones too. Who knows? Can't wait to see what you've been working on too! I got a lot of painting done tonight. I have to work all day tomorrow so maybe tomorrow night I'll finish a couple up.

I'm heading over to your blog now and I'll tell ya' what I think.

Comment away, baby! I don't mind.

Since we talked tonight, you know that I happened to watch Mental too. I had heard a little bit about it before but didn't really know what it was about.

Anonymous said...

"Crafts from the Crypt"--love it!

Diane said...

i missed this one! :( what the hell is going on???

anyhow.... i love the name! screw the normals!

Dracenea said...

Riverwolf and Diane - Thanks!

Yep, I finally said screw it and I'm just going to be myself no matter what.