Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Religulous was not ridiculous but was hilarious.


Look! It's Bill Maher and Jesus in the holy land!

I was home sick today and decided to take advantage of my On Demand movie selection via cable. It costs the same as renting a movie at Blockbuster and I don't have to leave my house. Love it! The first movie I "rented" was Religulous, which was hilarious! Granted, if you have belief in a god, you may not find this very funny. Bill Maher isn't confrontational at all and freely admits that he doesn't know if there is a god or not. He doesn't try to sway anyone's beliefs either. All he does is ask questions. He's trying to get people to really think about what they believe, which I fully support. Don't believe in a religion just because your parents did!

So what made this movie so funny? The responses that he got to his questions. It's the people trying to support their faith yet contradicting themselves along the way, which I guess makes sense because the Bible contradicts itself too. I can't quote the movie word for word but the funniest part to me was when Bill was talking with a guy who believes in god and Jesus but doesn't believe in Santa Claus. Right, because there's no way that one guy can delivery gifts via chimneys one night a year but there is a god that keeps track of every single second and person in the world and is making everything happen. It does sound funny, doesn't it? So talking snakes, virgin births, and someone living in a big fish for three days is true? Sorry, I'm not buying it but I might buy the DVD. : )

Stay tuned for a post about the next movie I "rented".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved this movie and thought it did a great job of puncturing the illusions people hold up as "evidence" of anything. On the other hand, it also made me question everything about pagan beliefs, too--but at least we're (supposedly) more open-minded!

Dracenea said...

I think we should question things though no matter what our belief system is. We shouldn't blindly follow anything.

I thought the movie was great because he just let people talk. They buried themselves.