Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Take this job and shove it!

I quit my job today. Yep, you heard (read) me right. I've been with this company for 8 years and even moved to another state while working for them. I started in a new position last fall and never got proper training. They would have me sit with people to learn some things and the rest I had to ask. Our auditors require that we have documented procedures but the auditors don't know that most of them are outdated. I knew, of course, because I tried to use them to train myself and found out they were inaccurate.

So what exactly led to my actions today? Mainly corporate drama. I had been relying on a couple co-workers to help me out when I had questions and I found out that one of them had been feeding me wrong answers on purpose and the other just wasn't listening to what I was asking. So I got in trouble for doing things wrong. When I explained that I had asked my co-workers for help, I was told that they weren't making these mistakes so basically it was my fault. Nice. In all the jobs I have ever had, this is the first where I got in trouble for mistakes. This is the first job where I've had multiple mistakes and even though the mistakes were being made because I was given incorrect information, my boss wouldn't even listen. She's buddies with the co-worker that was giving me wrong information on purpose so of course she sides with her and not me.

The whole thing reeks of BS. I had all I could stand so I put my documentation together to show that I wasn't making these mistakes on purpose or because I was guessing at how to do things. I met with Human Resources, told my side of the story, handed in my badge, and adios! It's sad that I had been with the company for so long and I don't have another job lined up. My health insurance is due to terminate next Tuesday. This economy is awful so I'm crossing my fingers that I can just find some part-time gig to get me by. My gut tells me that I made the right decision so it's all good. Things will work out in the end, I'm sure. Wish me luck!

I feel like such a rebel. hee hee

14 comments:

Laura said...

Oh man, that's a big one. It sounds like you feel comfortable with your decision and did what was best for you. I wish you the best in your job search.
Blessings
~*~

Eve Noir said...

First I must wish you luck! I think you did the right thing. I just can't believe that a person would be giving you wrong info, that is awful! That person will get what's coming to her in time, I'm sure. What comes around, goes around, right? But I don't understand why HR didn't help you more...or did you just want to quit at that point?

Yes, I felt like a rebel when I quit a couple jobs in the past, but always knew in my heart that I did the right thing. Here's hoping you'll find another job soon!
Take care. XoX, Eve

Dracenea said...

Laura - With every minute that goes by, I feel more strongly that I did the right thing. A huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I didn't even realize that it was that bad until today.

Eve - The solution that HR had was to get my boss, her boss, HR and me all in a room to talk. I had talked with my boss and her boss yesterday and I knew that they wouldn't listen. They believe my co-workers over me. It's sad but I'm okay with it because I gave HR all the documentation today showing my side and that will go in my file for them to read.

Thank you both for the kind words!

Eve Noir said...

Oh, ok, I see now. Ugh, that's awful. But on a brighter note, I will be sending out your "Easter" card tomorrow. ^_^ Also, I'm so happy you became a follower of my other blog...makes me feel special that I made your list, ha ha! Take care & be chatting with you soon!

Dracenea said...

If I find the right card at Target tomorrow, yours will be on its way as well. If not, I'm gonna' make you one. Muwahaha!

Carrie Mae said...

Good luck!

I'm totally living vicariously through your actions right now. ;)

Dracenea said...

DeadmansLog - Thanks! So if you're living vicariously through me, what shall I do next? : )

Anonymous said...

I'm away for a few days and look at what happens! OMG!

Well, good for you. Sometimes the best thing you can do is walk away. I did that with one job years ago and didn't have anything lined up. Different situation than yours but I knew it was time to go.

Maybe this is another step toward moving farther South? Whatever comes next, believe in yourself, be strong and expect opportunity.

Dracenea said...

Riverwolf - I'm going to have a realtor come in this week and tell me what they think I can sell for in this market. If they tell me the right price, then I'll be listing my home and hopefully moving down south soon! If I can't get the price I need, then I'll be looking for a job around here to bide my time. Got my fingers and toes crossed on this one!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the house.

Suburban Vampire said...

Good luck with your new freedom from a job that was sucking the life out of you. I have a relative in a similar situation right now, debating if she should walk out on an emotionally abusive boss.

Dracenea said...

I would tell your relative to leave if they can be financially okay for a little bit. If not, then she is probably stuck. : ( Can she transfer to another position within the company?

ShellHawk said...

Got fired in October, right before a four-day vacation. After someone said, "You'll fill in for So-and-So to make up your time, right?" After I made up the time. After I was the highest producer in the office.

Bloody freakin' Nazi F***tards.

So, yes, you made a good decision, and I know you'll find the best match for you. I'm sacrificing a bowl of ice cream for ya! ;o)

Dracenea said...

Companies can be ruthless.

Ooh, ice cream? Yum!